Last day to have say on bus changes

Today is the last day for people to have their say on the proposed changes for the local and school bus network.

The Bay of Plenty Regional Council is proposing changes to the network for mid-2018.

The public transport engagement process at has been open for a number of weeks now and today is the last chance people will have to get their message across.

Children’s safety, longer operating hours and the need for a more frequent Te Puke bus service have emerged as key themes so far during this process, which has received an unprecedented number of responses.

Of the nearly 1000 individual surveys completed, 60 per cent of responses have been around the proposed public Bayhopper network.  The other 40 per cent of feedback focuses on Schoolhopper.    

“More people are living in the outer areas of Tauranga and in the surrounding towns and access to public transport services is limited, we want to make sure that as ratepayers they too have the opportunity to move around using public transport and help contribute to reducing the number of private vehicles on our roads,” says Bay of Plenty Regional Council Public Transport Committee chair Lyall Thurston.

“It is our vision to build a stronger public transport system that encourages more of our people to use it.”

Read more about the proposed changes here.


There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now
Opinion Poll

We're not running a poll right now. Check back soon!